A. Types of Information We Collect
We collect certain nonpublic personal information about you, but only when that information is provided by you, or is obtained by us with your authorization. We use this information to prepare your tax returns, assist you with tax and financial planning, and meet needs associated with tax compliance engagements.
Examples of sources from which we collect nonpublic personal information include client phone calls and interviews, client emails and letters, tax return organizers completed by the client, and prior tax returns provided by the client or obtained from the client’s former accounting firm with the client’s permission.
B. Parties to Whom We Disclose Information
Current and former clients’ nonpublic personal information obtained in the course of providing accounting services is not disclosed except as required or permitted by law. Certain nonpublic information about you may be disclosed in the following situations:
- To comply with a validly issued and enforceable subpoena or summons.
- In the course of a review of our firm’s practices under the authorization of a state or national licensing board, or as necessary to properly respond to an inquiry or complaint from such a licensing board or organization.
- In conjunction with a prospective purchase, sale, or merger of all or part of our practice, provided that we take appropriate precautions (for example, through a written confidentiality agreement) to prevent the prospective purchaser or merger partner from disclosing information obtained in the course of the review
- As a part of any actual or threatened legal proceedings or alternative dispute resolution proceedings either initiated by or against us, provided we disclose only the information necessary to file, pursue, or defend against the lawsuit and take reasonable precautions to ensure that the information disclosed does not become a matter of public record.
- To provide information to affiliates of the firm and nonaffiliated third parties who perform services or functions for us in conjunction with our services to you, but only if we have a contractual agreement with the other party which prohibits them from disclosing or using the information other than for the purposes for which it was disclosed.
C. Confidentiality and Security of Nonpublic Personal Information
Except as otherwise described in this notice, we restrict access to nonpublic personal information about you to employees of our firm and other parties who must use that information to provide services to you. Their right to further disclose and use the information is limited by the policies of our firm, applicable law, our Code of Professional Conduct, and nondisclosure agreements where appropriate. We also maintain physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards in compliance with CPA professional standards to guard your personal information from unauthorized access, alteration, or premature destruction.
Your privacy, our professional ethics requirements, and our ability to provide quality financial services are of paramount importance to our firm. Please call us if you have any questions.